September 25-26, 2018
The University of British Columbia (Point Grey Campus)
Never been to a Congress Planning Meeting? There's never been a better time to be a newbie. At this meeting you will discover your role as a new Program Chair (PC) or Local Arrangement Coordinator (LAC) and everything that has been developed to help you plan your association’s conference at Congress.
Been to a Congress Planning Meeting before? This one will be different. With à la carte themed workshops, more frequent coffee breaks and a more interactive and network-based approach, we have tweaked the way we work together to create a useful, learning experience for all involved.
Attention, Program Chairs! We have a unique workshop on program planning designed specifically for you this year. Discover the details in the agenda below and join us to have your input!
Tuesday, September 25 - Welcome Reception
17:00 – 19:00 at Cecil Green Park House
Come and meet UBC President Santa Ono and mingle with your counter-parts at the other associations! A Musqueam elder will open the reception with a welcome to the traditional, unceded territory of the Musqueam people.
Wednesday, September 26 - Planning Meeting
08:00 – 16:00 at Sage Bistro
1. Planning cycle presentation
- Identify your responsibilities as an association organizer
- Understand the task requirements and deadlines
- Find out how to meaningfully and respectfully engage with local knowledge & protocol in your program
2. Networking lunch - Meet the Federation and UBC teams who will support you
3. Choice of workshop
Conference Program planning
- Identify ways to attract funding for your special sessions and maximize impact
- Discuss how to increase attendance and collaboration across disciplines
- Understand the benefits of using the Congress-recommended time slots to sync your sessions with other associations'
Room requests and event requirements
- Identify when to request a room per session and when to combine sessions into one room request
- Understand the offerings on the Catering and AV & Equipment menus
- Receive an instructional guide on how to submit forms in the Organizers Portal
4. Orientation tour (optional)
The tour will reveal key Congress locations and special space available to association organizers.
Coming from out of town?
A limited number of rooms at a discounted group rate of $229 per room per night (+ taxes) have been set aside. Please contact the hotel directly. This group rate will be in effect until Tuesday, September 11. After this date, the hotel is no longer obligated to provide rooms at the discounted group rate.
Sheraton Vancouver Wall Centre
1088 Burrard Street
Vancouver, BC, V6Z 2R9 Canada
Book online or call 1-604-331-1000 and quote "Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences Courtesy Room Block "
Thank you for providing your preferred conference dates for Congress 2019. They have been reviewed and the final draft of the Association conference schedule is available for download. Please consult the schedule to verify your association's conference dates and identify partnership opportunities with other associations holding their sessions on the same day.