Volunteer at Congress 2019 at UBC from June 1 to June 7, 2019
Canada’s largest interdisciplinary conference is being hosted by The University of British Columbia, and we need your help!
Congress 2019 volunteers will play a vital role in the success of this academic event, which will bring more than 70 academic associations and approximately 10,000 attendees to UBC’s beautiful Point Grey campus. Volunteers will have the opportunity to network with renowned academics and participate in the behind-the-scenes arrangements of Canada’s largest gathering of scholars. And did we mention that you’ll also gain access to more than 60 world-class academic events ranging from public keynotes to the Big Thinking series to UBC programming.
Congress 2019 is currently recruiting for 1,000 volunteers in varying roles. This opportunity is open to everyone - students, staff, community members, anyone interested in making Congress 2019 an incredible experience. Join us and help to create a genuine UBC Vancouver experience for this year’s attendees. Whether you have 8 hours or the full week, we would love to hear from you.
Choose a volunteer team position that interests you:
- Accessibility Support Team – help provide an incredible experience by providing concierge support for people with accessibility needs. Additional training will be provided.
- Event Team – help with all Congress events inducing: ushering attendees, filling seats, coat check, distributing programmes and event set-up.
- Info Kiosk Team - provide directions and information to attendees on sessions, campus facilities and Vancouver tourism information.
- Mobile Team – support and jump in on any role or task needed during peak times. This role is excellent role for those who learn quickly and are eager to help out.
- Session and Signage Support – help with daily room set up and signage installation around campus.
- AV Support - this role is perfect for those wanting to gain entry-level experience in audio/visual support.
- Wayfinding Guides - help attendees navigate their way around campus and venues by providing directions.
- Welcome Ambassadors – help welcome attendees to the city and campus, answer basic questions about transportation and provide directions.
- Social Media Gurus – help showcase Congress 2019 in a unique way by using the hashtag #congressh and tweeting, snapping and 'gramming all-things Congress.
As Congress 2019 volunteer, you will:
- Gain experience working on a large scale event
- Be able to take ownership of your role to create a welcoming experience for participants
- Develop skills, such as customer service, social media marketing, technology set-up, time management, etc.
- Receive an official Congress 2019 t-shirt
- Receive reference a letters - upon request
- Have the opportunity to network with over 10,000+ academics from across Canada
- Gain free access to UBC, Federation and associations' open events
Prizes for participation and achievement – more to come!
- March 1 - have a chance to win one of five $25 Gift Cards
- April 1 - have a chance to win one of 10 $15 Gift Cards
May 1 - have a chance to win one of 20 $10 Gift Cards
To register and create your volunteer profile, please click on the link above. You will be directed to the Congress Volunteer Registration Form on Shiftboard, where we would like you to take a few minutes to tell us about yourself. You will receive an email notification in April once volunteer team positions and shift times are available for selection. We will use both email and our volunteer scheduling system, Shiftboard, to communicate with you. Deadline: May 27, 2019