The Congress of the Humanities and Social Science will take place at The University of British Columbia, from June 1 to 7, 2019.
What is Congress?
- A unique event that connects scholars, students, publishers, and you, the public, to discuss big ideas that have the power to transform Canada’s future.
- The largest multidisciplinary academic gathering in Canada — and one of the largest in the world – with about 5,000 participants and 4,000 research papers presented.
- A seven-day event that has taken place in cities across Canada for the better part of a century – 88 years and counting!
- An education and engagement platform to work towards reconciliation and to support the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s recommendations that relate to higher education.
- A creative place where you meet like-minded people, scholars, and professionals with different perspectives across humanities and social sciences.
Congress is organized by the Federation for the Humanities and Social Sciences and hosted by a different Canadian university each year. The Federation, host university, scholarly associations and partners develop a full week of presentations, workshops, panels, public lectures, cultural events and receptions.
Congress 2019 is hosted by The University of British Columbia and its theme is “Circles of Conversation."
The good news is… lots of Congress programming is open to the community.
Even better news is… it’s complimentary!
Whether your interests lie in history, literature, politics, poetry, sociology, media, film or fine arts, there’s bound to be something for you. From the weighty to the quirky, we have it all!
There’s a lot of excellent programming, and it can get overwhelming. Here are a few suggestions that will help you navigate what’s out there, and what’s most readily available to you, as a member of the community of Vancouver.
Browse the calendar of open events or visit the following program pages:
Although these events are complimentary, members of the public are required to register their attendance and obtain a Community Pass, using one of the following methods:
- Starting May 27, 2019: to register for Congress, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To register on site at Congress, go to the Registration Desk in the Congress Hub located in the Nest's Great Hall to register and receive a Community Pass.
IMPORTANT: You cannot obtain a Community Pass, if you are attending an association's conference. The Congress 2019 registration fee and the association conference fees are mandatory for every attendee, including speakers, presenters, panelists, association staff, special guests and those chairing or attending a session.